It's October!

 It's official...we made it through September!  September is definitely the toughest month in kindergarten.  I actually talked to the kids about how proud I was of the amazing gains they have made in the first month of school.  It's pretty awesome!

Last week we had our second butterfly hatch!  The kids were excited that it was a girl.  She fluttered immediately when we released it.  We concluded our butterfly unit with an assessment of the life cycle.  

We started our writing unit last week with the topic of "Things I Can Do."  We read two different poems highlighting this idea.  Through lots of brainstorming and modeling from me, the kids came up with some adorable ideas of "things they can do."  At this point in the year, writing looks very nontraditional.  I ask the students to illustrate their topic(s) and try writing the initial sounds they hear when labeling their illustrations.  The kids are getting better at using the classroom for clues.  I have color words hanging in the classroom, each kid has a letter strip in their book boxes that they can access and we have now started using a word wall!  This week I introduced two new word wall words: the, and.  I will be introducing new word wall words regularly and you will be amazed at the number of words they will learn this year!

 You will see in some of the pictures below the children reading in their poetry journals.  I sang the familiar song, "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."  All of the kids sang it along with me and then I challenged them to read it together.  This forced the kids to slow down a bit and focus on the words in the song.  Each child has their own pointer and I am working on having them point to the words as they are reading them.

 Last week in math, we focused on number representation and quantity.  We will continue to study this in the week ahead. I was SO impressed with the insight that these kids have brought into our math lessons.

 Have a great week ahead and enjoy the pictures below!










                                           Behind the scenes on Picture Day! 

 








 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Kindergarten!

Best Week Ever!